|Pot o' soup|
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tsps. fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tsps. fresh chopped oregano
- 2 cups. chopped tomato
- 6 cups good chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh spinach, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ lbs of haddock, cod, or even halibut
- Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add herbs, cook 1 minute more.
- Add tomato and chicken broth, and heat until simmering.
- Add spinach and fish. Simmer until fish is cooked, less than 10 minutes.
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons curry powder
5 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups potatoes (red add good color unpeeled), diced
3/4 cup carrot, peeled and diagonally sliced
3/4 cup celery, chopped
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
3 cups cooked turkey, chopped
1 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
|Curried turkey and leek soup|
In a large Dutch oven, melt butter and oil over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until tender. Add flour and curry powder, stirring until smooth. Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth, stirring until blended.
Add potato, carrots, celery, parsley, and sage; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
If using spinach, stir it in now, and then add turkey, half and half or cream, salt, and pepper; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust spices to taste before serving.
|The road home|
|Shelter from the storm|